Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Six weeks! Life is SO good!





Week one at Curves = Fantastic!  I feel so much better about what I'm doing now to help myself get to my goal!  YAY me!   It seems that the girls at my Curves have learned a lot about how to make the machines work their best magic on me!  I remember the last time I joined Curves I would leave there feeling like I hadn't even worked out.  I remember thinking.. "weird... I'm not even sore" every time!  There was good reason for that.. I wasn't doing any of it right!  But I'm here to tell you.. I'm sore! (Not heinously so though) and when I'm done every day, I feel like I've done something for ME!!  Something fabulous!

I went on a short trip last weekend to see my Grandmas!  I was a little nervous about how it all would play out for me.. seems like in the past my "little trips" always turned into diet sabotage!  I don't know what it is about traveling that makes one want to eat, but it happens for me every time! So, knowing that about myself, coupled with the fact that I would have zero access to a scale for four days (gasp!) I spent a few moments in a state of curiosity about what might happen!  I shouldn't have worried for a moment!  Turns out when you have a lap band you don't really get any hungrier just because you're in a car driving across the sandhills!  And having no scale access was a bonus!  When I got home I had lost 3 pounds (and a few ounces) and that felt pretty amazing.  It seems like I had more than my share of "stuck" episodes while I was gone though, and I'm not really sure why.  Possibly because of the different foods I was eating.. fish, chicken and hamburger (unless they all have lots of sauce or marinade of some sort) all get stuck now since last week.... which brings me to my "fill" story.

So yes, last week the day before I left for my weekend journey I got my first fill.  Okay.. I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but I didn't think there would be any pain.  I"m here to tell you.. (please excuse my brief moment of oncoming sailor speak) THAT SHIT HURT!!  I'm a pretty tough girl with a very high pain tolerance. Self proclaimed of course, but just ask my mom, she'll tell you!  Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting any more pain than a blood draw type stick, I don't know, but it hurt a LOT!  Before she injected into the port she pushed and prodded (I assume to be sure she was going to inject in the right spot, and to be sure the port was where it was supposed to be) and that may have been the worst part.. I had no idea I was still so sore internally from surgery... but how could I have known that since I don't go around pushing on the port site that way?   At any rate, once she found it I felt some relief but the stick hurt too, and then she had to "tapdance" on top of the port for a bit before the needle would go where it was supposed to.  The digging around, the pushing around and the stick itself made for some pretty unpleasant moments for me, but the good news it was all over within ten minutes and I now am the happy owner of 3cc of fluid in my lap band!  Dot told me to come back for one more in two weeks.  That was another surprise.. I didn't expect to go back for a month or so (based on other's stories) but I scheduled my next fill for June 1, and out the door I went, none the worse except for a little emotional scarring from the surprise of the pain you know?!  Hahah!  What a whiner I can be!  I was assured that the next one wouldn't hurt as bad and I chose to believe that...

I've definitely got a little restriction with this fill.  My new and improved slow eating habits need to be newer and a little more improved.  I can only imagine what it will be like after another fill in 2 week... Dot told me that they have found  for "most" of their lap band patients, the *sweet spot* is between 5 1/2 cc to 7 cc.  How awesome would it be to find that sweet spot in 2 fills?  Hey, a girl can hope! 

So, six weeks out I am 30 pounds lighter, and I will be able to give you some inch calculations by the middle of next month when I get re-measured at Curves!  My beach goal was to lose 10 more pounds by June 23rd, and enough inches that I'll be needing a new swim suit! My first 'goal jeans' are still fitting just fine at a size 16, and will hold me over for a few more inches, even if the butt does sag quite a bit by the end of the day.   My son is getting married on August 5th and I'm kind of hoping for a dress that will look adorable and be a few sizes smaller.. again, a girl can hope!   Time will tell...

30 days til beach time!!
Thanks for stopping by! 

3 comments:

Grumpy Girl said...

How awesome! I'm so proud of you!!!

Bella said...

Congrats Sharon!!! You've done awesome!! Losing 30 lbs. is a big deal. Now that I am on regular food, my weight loss has slowed a bit. I've lost about 40 lbs. in a little over 2 months. I haven't joined a health club though, just trying to walk daily. I commend you on joining Curves ~ I've heard it's great. Looking forward to hearing more updates. Love ya!

Lynne Anne LaFever said...

Sharon, I think I am living vicariously through your weight loss! I wish I could be losing weight right now. I need to lose about 50lbs but it seems that the only way I lose weight is to swim it off and I have had to give up my membership to the Alaska Club which has one of the best and most accessibly pools in Fairbanks. Tracy and I are going to figure out a way to pay to go to another pool in town but that will probably be awhile, so I might be walking Yooken soon, although I don't like walking much as it hurts my back. (Isn't that a hell of an excuse!) Keep up your good work! Can't wait to see new pictures of you on FB or in my email! Loves, Lynne