Monday, April 11, 2011

Cheers!

A fairly innocuous looking bottle yes?  UGH! Not so much!
And the countdown of hours (versus days) begins!
Today is my day of clear liquids only.  I was given a list of instructions for this day which included what I could eat consume, and important things to do in preparation for my big day tomorrow.  These instructions were initially given to me over the phone by Dot.  Dot is the wonderful nurse who works for my surgeon and I am so lucky to have her on my team.  Towards the end of the instruction conversation Dot told me I would need to pick up a "special drink" from the pharmacy to drink @ 3pm the day before surgery.
Uh oh.  I knew what that meant. Magnesium Citrate.   I had a super flush coming.  She also told me that when I consumed this "special" drink, I might want to remain at home for the rest of the day and night.  Sounded special alright!

So in an effort to avoid thinking too much about how special this drink was going to be, I didn't bother buying it until this morning.  When I got it home I put it in the fridge on the advice of Tiffany (another wonderful nurse on my team) and left it to get nice and cold.  I opened the fridge several times to get juice and water out and I swear, every time I opened the door that bottle of specialness got bigger!

I tried to keep busy so while I waited out the time I wouldn't think too much about that huge bottle waiting for me... but 3 o'clock got here super fast anyway.  I poured the bottle in a glass, held it up and said "Cheers",  plugged my nose and chugged it!  I couldn't get it all down in one chug unfortunately, but 2 did the trick and I was done.  Oh. My. God.  That was one of the most disgusting things I've ever had the displeasure of drinking in all of my 46 years. 

Surprisingly enough, I was able to keep it down and now I'm just sitting here waiting on the special results!

The worst of the surgery preparation is now over for me!!  Tomorrow is the beginning of the unleashing of my other butt and I can't wait!   I know I'll feel like crap for a few days, I know I will struggle with all of the new rules and lifestyle changes, but I also know I can do this!  I'm still not scared, nervous, or suffering from any type of cold feet.  I'm ready! 

Tonight Nikki will take some "before" photos for me to get up on this blog.  Tomorrow I don't check into the hospital until noon, so if I have time I may update... probably not until after I get home from the hospital though.  Keep me in your thoughts and prayers!  I'll be baaaaack!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers! I am sure every thing will be fine. I am excited for you in unleashing your other "butt"

Anonymous said...

Sharon the good news about Magnesium Citrate is that it can be purchased at Walmart over the counter for under a buck if you ever want more.

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

David and Barbara

Mandi said...

I can't wait to hear all of the great things this will bring you and you know I am here for ya! Good luck tomorrow and I love ya girly!!
M~

Sharon said...

David and Barb~ I laughed so hard when I read that! Don't worry, I won't be running to Wal-mart any time soon for more!!

Thank you all for your kind comments! I appreciate all of the support very much! :)

Katie Kochenower - Insurance by Katie said...

Well, its noon-ish so I have got the prayers going for you! I am excited for you! How will you keep your HUGELY wonderful personality in your soon to be "shrunken" body? Its a terrific "problem" to have!

Sharon said...

Katie.. that's awesome! thank you for saying it! :)

Unknown said...

OK one question...what is "fill" I musta missed that somewhere?? you go girl...you inspire me!!

Sharon said...

The band is made to hold fluid. They put a port in at the same time that the band is put in, and through the port they inject saline in order to make the band tighter around your stomach so the opening from your new 'pouch' that goes into the main part of your stomach gets smaller, thus you can't eat as much. The squeeze around your pouch also restricts two nerves that run down both sides of the esophogus and around the stomach, and the pressure on those nerves reduces the appetite! People normally get their first fill around a month after surgery, and then every month or so thereafter depending on the amount of restriction you feel and whether the band seems to be doing its job or not. Pretty cool eh? :)